Jamie Gane


Follow my journey on my blog! I post updates involving amputation, athletics, health and fitness, nutrition as well as my every day life. Get some tips on how you should be performing in the gym, how to improve your diet or what it's like in the day-to-day of an amputee. Take a behind the scenes look at competitions and my training or just read my viewpoints on relevant topics.

Seven Weeks Post-Amputation

The time has flown by! It’s strange to think that only 7 weeks ago, I was in agonising pain but looking forward to a new start with a new prosthetic leg. As I start my 6th week of physical rehabilitation, I can’t help but reflect on the previous weeks and share my excitement for the months and years to come.

The first few days after my amputation were pure bliss! As I still had lots of anaesthetic in my system, my pain levels had gone from 10/10 to 0. Even from day 1, I knew I had made the right decision. On day 2, I started to get up and start the physio exercises and learning how to walk on crutches, given my balance difference. On day 3, I was discharged from the hospital and went home to continue my rehabilitation before going to an amputation-specific inpatient facility. I had agreed with the rehab team that I would be an inpatient to ensure that I recovered and was up on a prosthetic as quick as possible.

After a few days at home, I was admitted into Roehampton just 10 days after my amputation. Unfortunately, my recovery didn’t go as smoothly as I’d have hoped as I caught an infection in my stump had had a 5cm deep wound that had to be dressed every day. Having said that, I could still do my physio and balance exercises as well as attend the gym. After a few weeks in hospital, the physiotherapists were saying how impressed they were at my balance and fitness levels. Once my wound had further healed, I was allowed to go on the PPAM aid- a kind of inflatable device that allows you to get used to walking again, as well as healing and shrinking the stump. After a week-or-so on the PPAM aid, I was finally casted for my prosthetic leg!

My first prosthetic really wasn’t what I expected. It was very light, very tight and really quite uncomfortable. The walking, at first, seemed very robotic but I soon got the hang of it. It took me about a day to learn how to use my knee again, given the device I was using before my amputation. However, despite my prosthetist being fantastic, my socket was very uncomfortable and my stump had done something that nobody could expect – it had grown! The doctors and physiotherapists think that my stump had grown as I was now using muscles that hadn’t been used in many years. Nevertheless, I was casted again for my second prosthetic, after only having my first for a few days.

I am now mid-way through my sixth week at Roehampton. Although the doctors had anticipated that I would be there 4-6 weeks, it’s clear that I will be here for at least 7. I only received my second prosthetic leg today but I can already see a huge difference. Walking is so much easier and more comfortable. Given my new leg, I can really see myself running and training with two legs – a feeling that I never thought would be possible. I am really excited about the future on my prosthetic and I can’t wait to share it with you as I go through this journey. 

AmputationJamie Gane